Saturday, September 12, 2009

Brewed Today...

I set out to recreate the Belgian inspired APA from last year's special ingredient competition. I hadn't remembered it being this big, but since I used the same recipe, I guess it is. I ran into a couple problems. Seems as though I was a little short on the sparge water and had to add about 2/3 gallons to the boil, and I was still a little short. I'm sparging way too quick with the pump. Thinking of switching the HLT and Mash Tun locations next time and using gravity to sparge. All in all I think it'll be good. Hit my OG of 1.066. I think it might be a shade darker than last time. Little worried about putting a big beer not really light into the light catagory of Blacksburg Brew Do. Maybe it'll be better as a specialty after all.

No report on the Roggenbier. Needs another week or so to bottle condition. Oatmeal stout still a little flat, but tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment