Saturday, May 8, 2010

Today's Brewing Session

Quick note. The Ordinary Bitter and IPA on tap are pretty darn good. I digress

OK. Today I felt like a real brewer. 33 lbs. of grain. 70 qt mash tun at capacity. 15 gallon kettle at capacity. Why? All for a 10 gallon batch of Russian Imperial Stout for the clubs December 2010 competition.




I started by crushing the grain. Normally I fill about 3/4 of a bucket. Not this time...

















After heating 12 gallons of water in the big kettle I mashed in my big 70 quart mash tun. Again, this was a test of capacity...










After sparging I had over 12 gallons of wort to boil. It took two of us, thanks Kevin, to lift the kettle onto the burner.











In the end, a potentially wonderful 1.090 beer, ready for fermentation.
CHEERS EVERYONE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment